University of Maryland Mall Autumn


Application Deadline: January 4, 2019 (Friday)

Quick Links:


Pre-requisite Information

1. What pre-requisite courses are required to apply to the Master's program in SLP or the Doctoral Program in Clinical Audiology?

See information about prerequisites for our master’s program on our department website:

Back to Main Menu

2. I have completed only a few of my pre-requisite courses. Am I eligible to apply?

We review applications only if students have completed at least 60% of their pre-requisite coursework at the time of application. We ask that students provide information about their plans to complete their remaining pre-requisite courses by accurately completing the supplementary application. If offered admission, students are expected to completed all pre-requisite coursework before they start the graduate program in Fall. Pre-requisite courses cannot be taken concurrently with your graduate program at UMD.

Back to Main Menu


3. How can I take pre-requisite courses at UMD before starting a graduate program? 

It is recommended that students take these classes either through the HESP in the Evening program (a post-bacc program specifically designed for obtaining prereqs) or at other Universities; priority for seats in our traditional undergraduate courses are given to degree-seeking students, leaving limited enrollment opportunities for students pursuing prerequisites. Find out more about taking pre-requisite coursework at:

Alternatively, you can apply to the university as a post- baccalaureate, non-degree seeking student and register for these classes. Non- degree seeking students should submit a “transfer student” application (there is a place to specify post-baccalaureate on the transfer application). For more information, see open a transfer application, follow the link to

Acceptance by the university as a non-degree seeking student (including post-bac and advanced special students) does not guarantee spots in any particular course in our department. Non-degree seeking students can only register for courses on the first day of classes, and then only if there are open seats still remaining at that time. Moreover, permission must be granted by the academic advisor for all undergraduate or prerequisite courses, and by both the instructor of record and the graduate director for any graduate-level courses. As a general rule, we do not allow non-matriculated students to take courses in our graduate clinical training programs (CAUD & SPLA); exceptions may be made in special circumstances, but require a petition to the director of the respective graduate program (Dr. Gordon-Salant for CAUD; Dr. Faroqi-Shah for SPLA).

Back to Main Menu


G.P.A. & Standardized Test (GRE, TOEFL, & IELTS) Information

1. What is the average G.P.A. of admitted students?

The average G.P.A. tends to be between 3.6-3.8.

What if my school gives grades in percentages (not A, B, C, etc.) how can I convert this to a standard GPA on a 4.0 scale?

The College Board website gives instructions on how to do this:

You can find out more information on the program and accepted student profile at  ASHA's EdFind Website.

Back to Main Menu


2. What are the average GRE scores of admitted students?

Average GRE scores tend to be in or above the 50th percentile for all 3 categories (verbal, quantitative, analytic).

You can take the test more than one time and we take the best of the score from each category. The University of Maryland, College Park institutional code for the GRE is 5814.

Any applicant from a diversity preparatory program (e.g., McNair Scholars Program), can contact the department about submitting unofficial GRE scores for the admissions process. Verification of preparatory program participation is required. If admitted and the applicant chooses to enroll, official GRE scores will need to be sent to the Graduate School.

Back to Main Menu


3. What score do I need on the TOEFL or IELTS? (for international students only)

To find the minimum required scores on the TOEFL or IELTS, please see the following website:

Back to Main Menu


Financial Aid Information

1. What funding is available through the department? 

Graduate Assistantships (GAs): These assistantships provide tuition remission, health benefits, and a stipend, in exchange for a departmental work requirement, usually 10 hours per week for 9.5 months.

Some GA assignments are from the department and others may be awarded from individual faculty grants. Those who are awarded GAs will also receive in-state tuition.

Montgomery County Public School (MCPS) Awards: These awards cover up to $30,000 in student tuition costs in exchange for an agreement to work for MCPS for three years after graduation. Applications for the award will be distributed to all admitted students. All prerequisite coursework must be complete and preference will be given to applicants who are fluent in a second language. 

More information on funding opportunities. 

Back to Main Menu

2. Is there a separate form if I'm interested in financial aid? 

No, there is not. Check “yes” on the application form if you’re interested in financial aid, and check “no”, if you are not.

Back to Main Menu

3. What is the average cost of tuition? 

The average cost depends on a number of factors: 1- whether you are an in-state or out of state resident, 2- your specific course load, and 3—financial aid. Tuition is subject to change. See the Bursar's website for details:

Back to Main Menu


Program Questions

1. Can I be accepted for any semester or transfer from another graduate program? 

This is a fall enrollment program only, and we do not accept transfer students from other graduate programs. We sometimes allow students to transfer up to 6 graduate credits with department permission.

Back to Main Menu


2. How can I visit the department? 

We encourage you to visit the department. And we host monthly Open Houses for prospective students. You can RSVP to one of our monthly open house sessions found on our website: At this time we are unable to make individual appointments. 

Back to Main Menu


Application Process

1. How do I apply? 

A complete application to the University of Maryland should include the following:

  • A completed application. Complete the electronic application. For other application options, visit
  • A non-refundable application fee of $75.00 (Note: This fee is subject to change). If you have problems with your application fee, please contact the graduate school at gradschool [at] (subject: Application%20Fee) ()
  • One complete set of unofficial transcripts reflecting all undergraduate and graduate work completed or in progress. Each transcript should include the years of attendance, courses taken, grades received, class standing and the degree, certificate or diploma received. If the applicant attended the University of Maryland, College Park, the Graduate School will obtain your records of courses completed on the College Park campus so you will not need to send it in. To facilitate the processing and review of an application, unofficial copies of transcripts from institutions other than the University of Maryland, College Park may be used for review processes. Official copies of those transcripts, however, are required before full admission can be granted.
  • A Maryland In-State Status Form, if you wish to apply for Maryland resident status. Students who apply online do NOT have to submit this form in hardcopy as well.
  • Three letters of recommendation submitted by professors or others who can assess the quality of the applicant's academic performance and scholastic potential. Be certain that the applicant's full name is included on each recommendation. Download Recommendation Letter Forms at This form is optional.
  • Statement of Goals, Experiences, and Research Interests. Write a brief (1000 ‐2000 word) statement addressing the following two questions:
    • 1. What are your reasons for undertaking graduate study at the University of Maryland, College Park? Indicate, if appropriate any specific areas of research interest. You may wish to discuss past work in your intended field or allied fields, your plans for a professional career, or how you developed your interest in or knowledge of your chosen subject.
    • 2. What life experiences have prepared you to pursue a graduate degree at a large and diverse institution such as the University of Maryland? Among the items you might care to include would be your financial, community and family background, or whether you are the first person in your family to pursue higher education or any other factors that you believe would contribute to the diversity of our academic community. You may also wish to give the graduate admissions committee some examples of your determination to pursue your goals, your initiative and ability to develop ideas, and/or your capacity for working through problems independently.
  • Standardized Test Scores. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for all applicants. In addition, TOEFL scores are required for all international applicants. Please send an official copy of your scores to the Graduate School. Examination scores should be sent to the University via the testing authority.

    Any applicant from a diversity preparatory program (e.g., McNair Scholars Program), can contact the department about submitting unofficial GRE scores for the admissions process. Verification of preparatory program participation is required. If admitted and the applicant chooses to enroll, official GRE scores will need to be sent to the Graduate School.

  • Supplemental application form. Please download this supplemental form, fill it out, and upload it with your application. 
  • Resume. Again, be sure to include the correct program code (SPLA, CAUD, or HESP) on your application.

Back to Main Menu


2. How are applications reviewed? 

We use a Holistic review process in reviewing our applications. We review applicants based on a balanced consideration of their capabilities and potential based on their academic and standardized test performance metrics and prior academic and extracurricular experiences.

Back to Main Menu


3. What is the Program Code? 

For Speech M.A. the four letters code is SPLA.  For Clinical Audiology (Au.D.) and the Combined Au.D./Ph.D. Program in Audiology, the code is CAUD. The Ph.D. program code is HESP.

Back to Main Menu


4. Do I mail transcripts (and other application materials) to the central Graduate School office or to the Hearing and Speech Department? 

All application materials sent by mail should be sent to the central graduate school office. Nothing comes to the department. Please remember to put a department code: CAUD if audiology (Au.D. or Au.D./Ph.D. dual-degree program), SPLA if speech and HESP if Ph.D. The graduate school will direct all materials to the correct department.

 I have a transcript from my institution that is encrypted. What should I do? Should I still upload it to the application? 

No, do not upload an encrypted transcript to the application. It will upload as a blank document. The program will not be able to use it for its evaluation. Please print the document out, scan it, then upload the scanned version. 

Back to Main Menu


5. How do I contact the Graduate School?

You can call 301-405-3644, email gradschool [at] (), or mail Enrollment Services Office-Graduate Admissions, Room 2123 Lee Building, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742.

If you have further questions regarding graduate admissions, visit


Back to Main Menu



More Information:

Please feel free to email hespadmissions [at] if you feel that the answer to your question was not met via the various websites or within the context of this information.

Visit the following websites for more information: (general information) (application and forms) (schedule and finances) (off campus housing services), parking, directions) (policy for testing for international students) (questions for international applicants)


Last modified
01/21/2019 - 3:28 pm